常春藤之路 ivytrack.org

标题: Legacy Speaks ! SAT 2200 to Harvard. [打印本页]

作者: 汪小武    时间: 2015-12-11 12:46
标题: Legacy Speaks ! SAT 2200 to Harvard.
[from college confidential]
[size=1.17em]Decision: Accepted

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 2200 super (770m, 750cr, 680 writing), 2190 single 760m
ACT (breakdown): n/a
SAT II (place score in parentheses): 790 MathII 780 US History
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.94
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 4/300
AP (place score in parentheses): 5s APUSH, AB Calc, WHAP
4s Lit, Physics 1
IB (place score in parentheses): n/a
Senior Year Course Load: AP (Chem, Lang, Stats, Am. Gov, Physics 2)
Spanish 4
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): NSLI-Y (great, everybody should apply)

Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parentheses): Swim: reg high school stuff
Ultimate Frisbee: Regional team, high school
Student Council: Started a Hogwarts-style competition based on attendance, etc, (Pres 11th, not this year lol)
Trivia Team: Monthly competitions, appear on PBS for HS quiz show
Science League: Monthly competitions
State Student Advisory Council: gather with state's students to act as student voice, Run by MA DESE
School Improvement Council: group consisting of admit, community members, parents, student reps
Peer Mediation: student mediator w/ other students
Job/Work Experience: Snow shoveler: lol
Volunteer/Community Service: Math tutoring: middle school kids
Summer Activities: NSLI-Y, went to china, interned at chinese camp (you get the theme)
Essays: Common app-Watching jeopardy and how that explores my interests (8/10)
Short Activity Supplement-Ultimate and how it's my passion (10/10)
Optional supplement-Talked about personal connection to harvard (9/10)
Had essays edited by friend on crimson staff (really good advice!)
Teacher Recommendations: Physics teacher-Remember it to be very detailed (10/10)
Spanish-Talked about how I lead classroom discussion (8/10)
Counselor Rec: didn't see, but she knew i challenged myself. didn't spend a lot of time together but she likes me
Additional Rec: Principal-Talked about student council work, probably really good (maybe one of the main reasons I got admitted??)
Interview: Had it with really nice recent grad. She seemed to like me, and we talked about our personal backgrounds after the official interview ended.

[ b]Other
Applied for Financial Aid? Yea (probably gonna be amazing--like lottery good compared to other schools)
Projected Concentration: IDK, science/int'l relations maybe
State (if domestic applicant): MA (we're cuddle buddies with cambridge)
Country (if international applicant):
School Type: Rising Public (still really under achieving, but I cant imagine going anywhere else)
Ethnicity: Asian/White (so Other yea!!!)
Income Bracket: Very Middle Class
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): nope, maybe my grandfather's legacy did something
[ b]Reflection
Strengths: I really emphasized my roots and proximity to Harvard, which I know that you probably can't do but definitely try to mention how harvard could fit into your life. i had fine grades and showed passion in specific areas.
Weaknesses: Relatively low test scores, low rank, no major awards (except NSLI-Y maybe)
Why you think you were accepted: I had swim practice right before and I had basically convinced myself that I would get deferred.
Where else you are applying or have already applied: maybe yale, princeton, carleton definitely (love that school, would seriously consider going there above other top schools, maybe even harvard we'll see)
General Comments/Advice/Hindsight: I make an account specifically for this. I am about as normal as you can get. I really do not why i make it. But i did. And. So. Can. You. My very unprofessional opinion is to be genuine with yourself and put a lot of time in your essays (use details like drugs). Mostly I am just happy that I can act as a model of the possible for the younger kids from the tough part of town (where I went to school). But most of all, good luck and believe!

欢迎光临 常春藤之路 ivytrack.org (https://ivytrack.org/)